Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mod Podge Mania!

I don't think I would have attempted any of this stuff if it weren't for Cassie at Primitive and Proper's Wine and Design night.  The theme was "Mod Podge" and, of course, wine.  Andi from Jane of All Crafts invited me and I'm so glad she did!  Cassie and Andi are like the dynamic duo of craft blogging.  Or blog crafting.

I ended up working on these that night

I got the idea for the project at Blue Cricket Design's guest post by the Sassy Pepper.  I ran a search for "Mod Podge" on Pinterest and this was my favorite thing I saw!
So beautiful.  And the tutorial is very well written.

Since I had already pulled out the Mod Podge, I decided to make my Father-in-law's birthday gift.
It was so easy to do!  Here's what you need:
  • mod podge
  • 5"x7" wooden plaque
  • brush
  • foam brush
  • acrylic paint (I used black)
  • 4"x6" photo
  • dry rag
Let's get started.  Paint the sides of the plaques; let some of the paint overlap onto the face of the plaque.  Go do some dishes or something while the paint dries (I can only seem to trick myself into doing housework while I'm in the midst of crafting).

With the foam brush, coat the face of the plaque with a layer of Mod Podge.  Let it dry for about 15 minutes;  go put in a load of laundry.

Brush a layer of Mod Podge on the back of your photo.

Brush another layer of Mod Podge on the face of your plaque.  Center your photo on the plaque, press it down and smooth out any bubbles with the rag.  Wait for that to dry and go do something else around your house.  Girl, you are getting stuff done tonight!

Now brush a layer of Mod Podge on top of the photo and over the parts painted black.  Freak out for a little bit because the photo looks all milky and ruined.  It will dry clear, I promise!

Ta-da!

*These plaques are from JoAnn and the faces of them are a little bigger than 4x6.  It isn't quite as clean of a look, but I still like them*

All 3 together... I'll probably attach them to one another with ribbon so they're easy for my FIL to hang

And just for fun I made one of these of my son and his teacher.  This view really shows how it looks mounted on the plaque.

These wooden plaques cost only $.99 at Hobby Lobby and you could get them for $.60 if you have a coupon!  These are my new go-to gift for people for sure!!!

I made some for the kids in my Vacation Bible School crew... I took a photo of each kid and (in Photoshop) layered the text "God made you..." with different words that described the kid.  It's a great way to personalize a gift!

Let me know if you decide to make some!
Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It

PS:  If you EVER have an opportunity to volunteer with a VBS, do it!  It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.  I really got to know each child in my "crew" and I was so sad when the week was over.



44 comments:

  1. you know i love them and think they are awesome! and andi and i are going to make ourselves some t-shirts that each say 1/2 of the dynamic craft blogging duo! kidding.
    i am volunteering at vbs next week at my church, but i volunteer as the photographer.... really i do. it is how i can help without having to handle tons of children at once which kind of freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an expensive, yet adorable craft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look fantastic! How do you get the "Grandpa is" "Fun" words on? Are they rub ons?
    I did volunteer years ago at VBS...it was a great experience because we had an enthusiastic leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift and they are so personalized! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay so I have no clue where my comment went!??
    Let me paraphrase:
    Even though Cassie was kidding I would totally rock that shirt!
    And I'm not worthy of your mod podging skilz...the z is for emphasis ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea that combines my favorite things: easy and inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome gift to give your VBS kids. I'm sure that they meant so much to them. Thanks for serving God and those kids so whole heartedly with your gifts. -Jess (at) OlyMomma

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY cute! I did some photo canvases as a baby gift(http://btanders.blogspot.com/2011/06/altered-canvases.html). I LOVE the idea of doing these for grandparents. I will have to remember this for granparents day. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I *love* these! It's the first time I've ever seen mod-podged photos. Where has this idea been all my life??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love working with Mod Podge! This would be a great gift idea. Thanks for linking up with delicateCONSTRUCTION. That's how I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW what a great idea this is such a cute gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! I love how simple, yet personal it is!

    I am a Children's minister, so I know how meaningful VBS is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful, creative way to display and preserve family photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this project! I'm sure your father-in-law will appreciate it so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful keepsakes! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wanting to do this! These turned out SO cute! Great gift idea, personal but inexpensive :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome tutorial! I love this and will have to try this. My girls will love it too.
    Visiting from At the picket fence. Great post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so nice and a good tutorial too!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great job! So adorable! A great tutorial too ! You are very creative. Thanks for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so awesome!! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to make some. I'm following. :)

    Amanda
    www.thelittlegiggler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a precious keepsake! I too am now addicted to Mod Podge...I am always looking for new projects, thanks for the inspiration! And....thanks for linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop (I am co-hosting this week) and I was so happy to find this beautiful project! I am so happy to be your newest follower!
    creativecarmella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute! I might have to make one for both sets of grandparents! Visiting from Homemaker on a Dime, hope you had a great weekend!
    www.modernwivelyhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO many possibilities and these turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. these turned out great.
    I'll be honored for you to join our linking party every Wednesday at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/american-pickers-with-linking-party.html
    Have a fabulous week,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just gorgeous! I have some plaques just waiting for my craft room to be done...this was definitely helpful...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey
    great tutorial
    can you pls help me out with the photoshop part can you make a tutorial for that
    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Isn't it nice when another post inspires you to create something beautiful- I love blogging- it's all about sharing! When I was an art teacher the other art teachers used to hide what they were working on, I guess they didn't want another teacher to steal thier idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great twist on picture frames, we give a lot of pictures as gifts in my family & these will be a great idea to change it up a tough.
    ~Amanda @ CreatingAmongstBoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. neat looking I did something very similar thought I was being so creative Hahahah I should have known it is a popular thing to do
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have done this, too. I love how they turned out. I took a favorite picture of each of the kids & they chose the color of paint. It is on this link: http://blessedx3ane.blogspot.com/2011/03/finding-creative-side.html

    But, I forgot to add them to this link. I talk about our G, but you can see them in the one picture. I will have to add this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You did awesome! I would love for you to link up on Thursday to "It's a Party"!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this project and I am crowning you a La-Dee-Da Diva!!!
    come grab a button!
    http://ladeedacreations.com/2011/07/diva-thursday-who-will-be-crowned-a-diva/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there again :) I wanted to let you know I featured this awesome project today as part of my Friday Faves on my blog today! I hope you can come by and take a look!

    http://creativecarmella.blogspot.com/2011/07/friday-faves_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. I wanted to let you know I'm featuring this on Fabulous Finds on Friday. Stop by and grab a button if you like. Thanks again for sharing!

    http://thelittlegiggler.blogspot.com/2011/07/fabulous-finds-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. How fantastic! These are so fun and easy. A great Christmas gift. Totally going to try it out. How do you think it would work on canvas? I haven't used mod podge much, more of a sewer myself!

    check out my blog at http://www.adetailorientedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a sweet gift. My mind is just reeling about who I can give these gifts to!!!
    I play the same game with myself with housework. That is too funny!! I thought I was the only one!

    Thank you again for sharing!!

    PS - you were right about VBS - those experiences last a lifetime (for you, and for the children!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such an awesome tutorial! These would make perfect gifts for so many people in our lives. :) Thanks for sharing!

    I'd love for you to link this up with So Sweet Sundays!

    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. well... now i know what i've been doing wrong with mod podge. i haven't been giving it drying time. thanks so much for this! i'm a new follower from homemaker. i'd love if you linked this to my party on tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  40. I, too, found the same picture very inspiring to put a photo onto canvas. I printed an 11x14 black and white of my kids walking hand in hand from behind, and mod podged it onto an 11x14 canvas. I'm also going to do a 16x20 as a Cmas gift for my parents. It's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. These look great and your explanation is very easy to follow. One question tho...you say that materials needed are a 5x7 plaque & 4x6 picture. is that for edging or a misprint? Just want to make sure. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I need to try this! I have modge podge sitting in my craft bin just waiting to be used!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am very happy to read out your blog. Thanks for sharing such type of information.

    Again another new and update post regarding.......Funny Photo Gifts


    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...