Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Skirted Bar Stool


I have been looking for bar stools for our kitchen for almost 5 years now... I finally found some at Goodwill for $6 a piece!
They were green, but the perfect height.  I took them.

Our kitchen is teeny so I wanted something that would tuck away completely and almost hide when we had them pushed in. Or so I thought. I spray painted the legs gray, did another coat in white, and then sanded them to distress them. But they were just TOO plain.

If I'm having a bad day or I just feel kind of gross I put a skirt or a dress on.  I don't know what it is, there's just something about a skirt that makes me feel a little more special.  I think you see where I'm going with this...  Little wallflower bar stools, I'm about to upgrade you.

And here they are in all their knife-pleated glory (this was my first attempt at knife pleats, so I'm a little excited)

I love them.  I named them Nellie 1 and Nellie 2.  Let's be honest, they look a little like the Nellie Olesons of bar stools
source

I've had this fabric for a while... I bought it at IKEA in the "you know there's something majorly wrong with this thing we're trying to sell so we'll make it really cheap" room.  They were $3.99 curtains that had some holes in them, but I loved the color and texture so I bought them.

I made some piping in white canvas.

Then I pinned the top part of the slipcover inside-out on the bar stool and sewed it, using my zipper foot.

I ironed the pleats into the fabric, using a piece of cardstock (it was actually a coupon) as a template.

Then I pinned the piping and skirt onto the main piece and sewed it with the zipper foot.

I thought I had sworn off the zipper foot and any kind of piping or welting after sewing the slipcover for my sectional.  I guess it's been long enough since that project that I forgot how much I struggled with it.  These "slipcovers" were actually a lot easier.

I'm loving my "new" bar stools!  Let me know what you think...
Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It


This post is featured here
homemade crafts         








This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order blissful and domestic elizabeth and co diy by design gingersnap crafts

49 comments:

  1. Those look awesome!! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are adorable and so perfect!!!!!! i love the skirts! and i think they are a little more like mary- she was pretty, but sweet, too, even if she did go blind. ma and pa would be so proud of you.
    sorry we are still using our stools here, but they are still yours if you want them when our kitchen gets redone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They seriously look amazing. I would love for you to come and link this up to my Winter Blues Wednesday party that is going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woo hoo....those legs look great in skirts!! And now I know what you did over the weekend ;) You know i love these! And I didn't religiously watch LHOTP but Nellie always creeped me out for some reason. And I love that section of Ikea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Someday I'll learn to sew. Great job!

    Maxwellhouseinteriors.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your pleats came out great. The stools look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful barstools!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful - I love the white piping AND the pleats! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are stinkin' cute - love this idea!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  10. These looking a bit too stylish for a bum to sit on! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jamie, i am so glad you stopped by today and said hi! i LOVE LOVE LOVE these barstool covers and am pinning them! let's be friends... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. but wait! i can't pin anything on this page! even by clicking the "pin it" button. help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bar stool covers! We have some that have gotten pretty beat up over the years and this would be a great fix! Also thanks for the comment on my blog! And don't even worry about your son talking late. Some kids just start out a little slower, but end up being among the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I....love....these!!! Gorgeous! I wish you could buy them because I can't sew well enough to make my own.

    I will be featuring these on my blog tomorrow for Feature Friday. I hope you'll stop by and check it out!

    Valerie- www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great, Jamie! I love how you made these! Such a great idea to dress up plain stools, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow Jamie! Those pleats are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing at our Be Inspired party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute! I save the pic to my computer for a project down the road...thanks so much for sharing these at my link party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are amazing! You got some sewing skills. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE these! Love that you are so creative and did a "not your typical" slipcover!

    Would love for you to stop by @ toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So jealous of your sewing talents! These look adorable yet classy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look great! I wish I could sew. I have some square barstools I want to do this too. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your stools are so cute! What a transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your silpcovers turned out so nicely, very pretty!!

    Thank you for visting my blog and leaving nice comments, you are so sweet Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really nice...love um...I'd like to invite you to share them at @CountryMommaCooks "Link & Greet" party....And have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are just great. I can def find some plain jane bar stools at the thrift store and then I will just need to refine my sewing:) I am taking a sewing class this month and am SO excited!I would love for you to come link up at my party going on now through Sunday night!
    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2012/01/get-schooled-saturday-6-and-e-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so stylish I'd hate to sit on them. And I love that you named them after Nellie! Thanks for sharing at this week's party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea. I also love the way you made the pleats. Great tip.

    Cinthya
    www.eyeheart.ca

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, what a difference! I don't sew either but it was fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You've really dressed up the bar stools beautifully. They actually blend in better with the kitchen. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You did such a good job! Your slipcovers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very Cute! I love it. Perfect way to take cheap stools to a beautiful custom level. Way to go. Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those are adorable!! Would love for you to share them in my first ever Link Party going on right now. www.thesweettalkshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your bar stool covers are so cute! I would never have thought of doing this! I found you through Think Pink Sundays. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are just so Cute!!! I am going to have to steal this idea as I am slowly redecorating my home and I have 2 barstools I can't bare to part with but wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, now I know!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an improvement! You did a great job. Nellie....I love the names! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  37. They look awesome! I have similar stools that may need this makeover.

    Christine @ Projectsaroundthehouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing and inspiring! Visiting via Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous! Gives the stools a great finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those look amazing! I'm going to do that with mine :) I'd love for you to share this idea at my new party:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/01/mix-it-up-monday.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. These stools look amazing! Too cute to sit on! :) Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We hope you come back and share more ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are so fun! I am going to feature these tomorrow on Blissful and Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOVE these! I kind of want a skirt to match them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. what a great touch! i love it! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next week!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    http://www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...