Sunday, October 09, 2011

Spiderman Party with DIY Cupcake Stand

We just had a party for both the kids' birthdays this weekend.  I decided to make cupcakes, but didn't have a stand to display them.  So I made this!

It was really easy and I used things I already had around the house.  Here's what you'll need:
  • glue gun
  • 2 or more cans (I used 1 smaller and 1 larger)
  • Decorative paper or cardstock
  • plastic plates (you can also use cardboard cake circles)
Is it bad I made chili this week just so we could have the cans for the project?

Wrap your cans in paper (the pink and purple one is for the Dora half of the party)

Put some hot glue around the edges of one end of the can and glue it to the bottom of a small plate

Put glue on the edges of the other end of the can and glue it to the top of a bigger plate

Keep doing this for however many tiers you desire!

Here is the Spiderman one with cupcakes on it

Speaking of cupcakes, here's how I made the "webs"

I put some candy wafers in a disposable pastry bag

microwaved them for 30 second increments until they were melted (be careful not to burn them!)

Snip the tip off the pastry bag with scissors and pipe your web onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper

If you need a guide, you can print out a picture of a web and lay it underneath the wax paper to "trace".

Pop them in fridge for a half hour.

Place each one on a frosted cupcake of contrasting color and put a spooky spider on top (spider rings would work great for this too).  I think these would be really fun in orange, black and purple for a Halloween party!

Here's my little Spiderman helping to decorate the favor boxes

No, really.  He IS my little Spiderman!

More details from the party to come in a day or two.

Thanks for stopping by!
Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Love the cake stand! I never thought to use cans! I've always seen these made with candleholders before. This is awesome. And your spiderman cupcakes rock- I'm going to be adapting this for Halloween cupcakes. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. luv the idea of using vegetable cans more sturdy.
    I would love to have you join us at our linking party this week at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/10/celebrating-fall-with-linking-party.html
    Have a great week,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally awesome! Great way to make a stand; I never would have thought of that!
    And the cupcakes themselves are fabulous! Bet he had a ball. :) Would you link it up here?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/fall-craft-challenge-5-kids-craft-or.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome idea girl! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny...I do the same thing...If you need to have Chili to make your craft..that's what we do! LOL! This is a super cute idea. I LOVE the cupcakes too!

    Have a great day!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is so creative!!!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie, what a creative idea! Love your blog! I am now following via Southern Lovely. I am your newest follower. I hope you will follow me, too! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, you're awesome! From the cupcake stand to the spider webs, what can I say?!! You are so creative! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made one of these before but it didn't turn out nearly as well as yours. Great job! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute party! Love the webs on the cupcakes! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Love the up cycle! Stopping by from Along for the Ride link party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are good at making those spider webs! These are way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome ideas! I love your cake stand! I can't wait to see more from the party! Thanks so much for sharing this @ Show & Share! I am so happy that you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea for a spider web! I love your cupcake stand as well. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your tutorial on making the spider webs. What a fun and easy way to make cupcakes super exciting for kids. I also featured this post on my Friday Favorites post and would love it if you stop by to check it out at http://ktdesigns-katania.blogspot.com/2011/10/friday-favorites-halloween-fun.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    Kamik Women's Jennifer Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your spiderman and awesome web idea.
    I've a daugter and she is a big fan of everything about spiderman.
    good job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! What a wonderful Spiderman party DIYs. Loved them and planning to use them for my son’s birthday party at one of Chicago event venues. He asked me to have a Spiderman themed party. Thank you so much for sharing these brilliant ideas here.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...