Thursday, November 03, 2011

Aunt Marge's Apple Cake

My Great Aunt Marge made one heck of an apple cake.  You all know I'm not a food blogger, but I'm making an exception for this exceptional recipe!

Here's what you'll need:

3 eggs
1 ¾ c. sugar
¾ c. oil
2 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1/2 c. nuts, optional (I don't add nuts)
6 (or 5 large) Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped to about 1/2 inch
The apples should be about this big.  They really don't have to be uniform.

Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan

Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl for 5 minutes.  Yes, 5 minutes.  I'm not about to argue with Aunt Marge, are you???

Add oil and beat until mixed.

Fold in dry ingredients.  Add the apples and nuts (it seems like a LOT of apples but don't freak out, it's supposed to be lumpy)
See?  Pretty lumpy.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (check with a toothpick).

And you're done!  Oh my gosh this thing is so good.  Let me know if you make it!

 Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up...this looks amazing...and I happen to have a TON of apples here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband is going to love this! i'm stopping by from tatertots and jello and would love for you to stop by my blog and checkout the huge giveaway going on. http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html xoxo nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the food blogging community - even if it's only for one recipe ;). I can't ignore such a great intro, so I'll happily be giving this wonderful recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make a cake very similar to yours, and you are right, it is fabulous! When it comes out of the oven we pour a hot buttermilk syrup and let that soak in. . .so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try this today. I bet beating the eggs so long gives the cake a crunchy crust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delish!! I'm a new follower and just love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie, I made this over the weekend and it is delicious! I substituted 3/4 c of splenda for some of the sugar. The top is a bit crunchy and shiny. Best of all this is a yummy way to get more fruit into our diet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to pick up more apple tomorrow and this is just one more reason! I will be making this as a treat for my family when they come in from the outdoors this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love apple cake, I'll have to give this one a try! Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hardly wait to try this cake. I love all things apple and this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! This is definitely going on my 'to bake' list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmmm, I want......! I love this, I'm pinning it and trying it today. It looks like the perfect comfort food for our cold and dreary day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to make that mmmmmmmmm m
    www.mychristian-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! This sounds absolutely delicious! And perfect for the time of the year! Thanks for sharing this! Happy to have you at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jamie, I made this over the weekend and it is delicious! I substituted 3/4 c of splenda for some of the sugar. The top is a bit crunchy and shiny. Best of all this is a yummy way to get more fruit into our diet! evil eye necklace usa , evil eye necklace wholesale france

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...