Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Family Rules Subway Art

I've been wanting to do this for a while and I finally got around to finishing it today

I have been so bothered by this light switch... we never use it and it's in the middle of the wall.  I had two options:  ask my husband to move it and then patch the hole in the wall or cover it up with something.  Guess which one I chose!
Yes, that's an old diaper on the counter.  Yes, I know my house is gross :)  I'm tired of pretending that my blogging persona is all neat and organized all the time.
Now all the mess is just pushed out of the way :)  Oh, and there's a canvas on the wall.  Much better.

While we are at it with the true confessions, I'm not really feeling all the warm and fuzzies this artwork is supposed to evoke.  The kids are driving each other nuts today.  It's a little more like "In this house we bug, irritate and are annoyed by one another".  Maybe I can change the word "hug" to "bug".

And here's a little tip I learned... use a thumb tack in each corner to keep the canvas off the counter when you're making it.  This made everything so much easier!

I really love this in the 16" x 20" size.  In July when I blogged about the "God made you" subway art tutorial, I was making 11"x14" canvases.  Now I have 11x14, 16x20 and 18x24 canvases available in my etsy shop.  Let me know what you think of the bigger ones!

Thanks for stopping by!
Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It
This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z
Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order

26 comments:

  1. Great idea. And the thumb tack trick is brilliant. Much better than my "let's figure out how to peel the canvas off of the cardboard or paper I'm painting on method". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that look great, jamie! i love the font that you used for it.
    and get some sleep- wake up, and you will feel better about the words on it.
    and if not you can make a new one....
    god grant me the serenity to NOT strangle mi children, duct tape their mouths shut, or tie them to a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! This is truly a work of art. I could have used Cassie's version last night at my house...maybe something was in the Maryland air yesterday that pushed the kids to the limit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! Looks great instead of the light switch! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really looks beautiful --- what a difference it makes instead of a light switch!
    Blessings, Becky
    www.fromgentogen.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! And I love how you keep it real! I always throw my diapers down the stairs and sometimes they sit there for awhile until I get around to chucking them out to the trash! Thanks for linking up at {Junk in their Trunk}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I actually would have never noticed the diaper if you didn't point it out.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea, it turned out great. I'd love it if you linked up at my party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this. Perhaps someday when I'm not sleep deprived from being 8 months pregnant and up with a 3 1/2 year old throwing up half the night, I'll do something like this. Just to remind myself, consider this post Pinned (on Pinterest of course).

    Your comment about the kids battling made me smile and I wanted to share with you a wall decal I made with my Silhouette for above the door to the nursery . . . check out the 2nd to last photo in my nursery reveal post: http://www.buildsewreap.com/2011/09/nursery-reveal.html

    Thanks for sharing your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is AWESOME! And that thumb tack idea is fantastic too! I also love the edges of the canvas pattern too! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie this week! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only ones that keeps diapers all over the house. Sometimes, I even forget they're there! See, I'm way more gross. I love this idea, and yours turned out so well. I love the varying degrees of purple, white, light-purple, etc. I think we should make a sign with 2 options for house rules, and use what you suggested up there...my kids were terrorizing each other today! Soooo frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing and what a great idea for covering the plug!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to make one of these for ages, but maybe I should just buy one from you because yours looks great! I totally understand about the kids. Hang in there. Hubs and I just signed up for a parenting class b/c our kids are driving us crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out great. Perfect solution to hide your light switch. The thumbtack tip is genius!! Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this, and I think we all have "those" days!! In my house, it's pretty much every day;)

    I am going to make this very soon! Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your rules! Clever way to cover that switch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely adorable! I love how lovely this little sign is, and fits perfectly in that room! I am so happy you shared this @ Show & Share, thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen so many versions of house rules....I love yours! So simple and lovely. Definietly inspired to make this for our home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it, I just purchased a large canvas with the intention of doing something like this...oh and I have diapers like that on my counter and couch too!
    www.imprintalish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute! I just did one as a gift for my husband for Christmas. I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it!! What a great idea, and what a great reminder about how to treat everyone!
    Hugs, antonella :-)
    Sorry, I'm stopping in a little late from the Answer is Chocolate BFF Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made my first Subway art this afternoon. I'll be posting about it in a few days. I love yours. I have to go and check out your Etsy shop. Thanks so much for sharing at DIYbyDesign's Fall into Fall party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love it! really pretty and awesome reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that saying and your layout and version is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...