Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Favorite Christmas Stocking Pattern

My Grandma Bettie knitted all the stockings for our family for the past 50 years.  She had 7 kids, 19 grand kids and now all those grand kids are having great-grand kids.  She made stockings for all the spouses and some other extended family members as well.  I'm not about to do the math, but that's a lot of knitting!

Bettie passed away last winter... one of her concerns last year was "Who would make the stockings?"  I have an aunt who makes beautiful knitted stockings and I make them as well.  I promised Grandma Bettie I would make one for my cousin's wedding; the groom, Eric, would need a stocking for this Christmas.

I used an Ann Norling Christmas stocking pattern.  This has been a great investment for me... I've made at least 12 stockings with the pattern.  I especially love the scalloped detail on the top

Eric is a firefighter so Bettie wanted the stocking to have a Santa dressed up as a fireman.  I did my best to bring her vision to life.

We'll all be missing Grandma Bettie this holiday season, but it helps to know she is with the Lord now.  It feels good to have some of the tradition passed down through the generations... I just hope I can keep up with all the stockings I'll need to make in the future!  Do you have any jobs or traditions that have been passed down through your family?  Let me know in the comments!

Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It

This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z
Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order

19 comments:

  1. The stocking looks GREAT! You have done Bettie proud. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job, Jamie. What a wonderful tradition for you to take on - you got me all teared up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Jaime!!! Your stocking is awesome!! Your grandma Bettie would be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome, i'd love it if i could make those for my family! i'm hosting a grab bag giveaway over at my blog and i'd love for you to stop by and check it out- http://www.thelovelypoppy.com/2011/11/21/giveaways-galore-part-four/ xoxo nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are increadible.. I love it.. Super cute.. I have a Christmas linky happening that I would LOVE for you to please share/add this awesome feature to pweeease. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/special-christmas-soiree1st-feature.html TY ~ Wishing you an amazing thanksgiving week : ))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bettie would be so proud! We have knitted stockings that my aunt made for us. (A different pattern) and I have made them for my children. They are so special, especially because they are made form the heart. Your stocking is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful stocking. You have a wonderful family tradition. Stopping by from the Creative Bloggers Hop. Hope you stop over for a visit. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely tradition I'd love you to add this to my party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think stockings that are homemade are so much better then store bought. That is wonderful that you have the ability to knit and do those things. You did great making Santa into a fireman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little Santa firefighter is so darling! You are so talented! We would love to have you stop by and share these at our link party:
    http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/11/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-21.html
    Have a great weekend!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love traditions and stockings are a great one. Love this idea! I'd love for you to link up to my Homemade in December Link Carnival.

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2011/11/homemade-in-december-link-carnival.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful tradition! I think it's so wonderful that you are creating those for your family! I'm so happy you shared this @ Show & Share--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for being a part of making last week’s “A Little Birdie Told Me…” at Rook No. 17 so rich in creativity and inspiration! Today’s party is in full swing, so please feel welcome to drop by and share your talent.

    Yours,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi.
    I was able to take my 40+ year old stocking and replicate the pattern for one of my best girlfriends (AKA sista from another mista lol). So, I am thankful every day that I can knit as well as my great aunt. My daughter's is the Norling Nutcracker and it came out beautifully!

    I have all of the Anne Norling patterns...but I truly LOVE this. Are you able to post a chart or pattern of this? I would especially appreciate it!

    Thank you!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops....here's my email:
      dskbrtndr71@yahoo.com

      Delete
  15. Can I still buy this pattern?
    Thanks, Marlo

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Grandma Bettie knitted all the stockings for our family for the past 50 ... knitstockings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...