Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Oh, Marshmallow Tree!

We worked on a gingerbread house this morning.

This is what we worked on while we were waiting for the house structure to set.

Why are the ideas that seem like my best usually my worst?  It's rainy and gross here so I thought it would be a fun indoor activity to decorate a gingerbread house.  I ended up frustrated and the kids ended up cracked out on sugar!

I think the house is cute despite all the arguing and threats it took to get it done.  How did I not realize that my children would try to eat all of the candy put in front of them???

Anyway, it turns out you have to wait up to three hours (after assembling the house) before you can actually start decorating it!  *Note to self for next year:  don't gather kids around the table when it is only time to put the house together.  Everyone ends up impatient and a little bit angry.

While we were waiting for the house to harden, we decided to make marshmallow trees with the royal icing.  We started with some large marshmallows and glued them together with the icing.

Then we just kept adding small marshmallows dabbed with royal icing to build up the shape.

I envisioned 3 - 5 tall and stately trees on display.  We ended up with something more closely resembling a shrub.  Cloche (cheese dome) to the rescue!
Doesn't it just dress it up a little?

And here's the tree my daughter made.  She didn't get much past the base.  Note all the half-eaten marshmallows in the background.  She cracks me up!

So, here is something for you and the kids to do while you're waiting for that crazy gingerbread house to harden.  There really should be a warning on the box or something.
I can look back and laugh now.  When I was in the midst of it, not so much.

Hope you're having a fun (and not frustrating) season so far!
Blessings,
Jamie
Pin It

This post is featured here: 

This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z
Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order

37 comments:

  1. Love the marshmallow tree! WE create a gingerbread house every year...I can remember one year doing it with my older two while I was holding the baby...not fun. Now it is because we know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how yummy are your branches!!!! :)
    so cute and creative, jamie! and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! Thanks for sharing this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute tree idea! It looks like a little winter wonderland under the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree looks so good! Worth the frustration (and sugar crashes!) in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and frugal! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I promise I am laughing with you! My kids are now 12 and 9 and about 5 years ago, my sil told me about hot glueing the pieces together {since they don't actually eat it} !! that way we only have to wait a few minutes! feel your pain! BUT....your little marshmallow tree is ADORABLE!!

    Would LOVE for you to link up at our "Home For The Holidays" link party!

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out so cute! Hate when things don't go as planned though. I haven't attempted a gingerbread house yet, so this is good info!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh that tree is too cute. But you're right, I would probably just break down and eat it before I ever got done. Nice work!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun would these be to make with the kids while sipping hot chocolate. Thanks for the inspiration. Hope to see you on Friday for the linky at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I hate decorating gingerbread houses... for all the reasons you listed PLUS I know that my kids are going to beg to eat it every day until I throw it away.

    2. That marshmallow Christmas tree is GENIUS (as is putting it on display like that). We will be making them this year. And maybe, just maybe, I'll give the kids their own bags of icing and let them make their own. It would be a good (large) step outside my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sweet! My kids would have eaten more mallows than they stuck together, too! But you know what, I am going to try it with them anyways! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny...I had the same experience here with Gingerbread trees! It was so stressful! Love the marshmallow tree idea, so cute :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am giggling!! ;)
    I am your newest follower from Randee's Organized Chaos!! Hope you will come take a look and follow along!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh so cute! I love it! My kids would probably love it even more!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, I am so glad I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with her kids while "making memories". I'm not sure my kids would make it if we tried to do a gingerbread house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The tree is super cute--frustration and all! I think we still might attempt it. :)

    I would really love for you to add this to the Make and Takes spotlight page--http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really great! It is sooo not about the end result...but the fun that went into it! Royal icing and marshmallows...recipe for Fun Fun Fun! If you get a chance I would love for you to link up over at the ongoing 30 days of Frozen Pie linky party at Hating Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAHAAAA! This post is hilarious! I love that the tree is in a cheese dome. So cute!!
    I had the same problem with the gingerbread house project. I've learned that hot glue works wonders...forget the icing glue...we just make it look pretty with that stuff.
    Thanks!
    Krista @ www.mkinspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute!! And yeah, those gbread houses are a pain. Yours came out so cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha ha, love it! I'll try a marshmallow tree before a candy house any day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable! I learned after a couple of years to call my kids ( husband and son!)only when it was time to put the candy on. Or, I got them their own to work on together which usually got half done and I finished later!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marshmallows are snack food in this house. I can keep an unopened bag around for about 2 minutes. I swear these people can smell them through the plastic. This is very cute and I will keep it in my mind's eye, as I will never get my family to not eat it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the marshmallow tree in the cloche, it looks whimsical, and perfect for a family with young kids! And I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who loses it while trying to do something fun with my kids! Please come and link this up to the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com I'd really appreciate it! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! So adorable! I love how honest you were too that it would likely lead to anger =) he he he he. Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh this is too cute! I love these little yummy trees!
    I'd love for you to link up to my Fresh Friday Link Party!
    http://www.releasemecreations.com/2011/12/fresh-fridays-link-party-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I LOVE how your marshmallow trees turned out - definitely pin-worthy! :) And thanks for the warning on the gingerbread decorating - I have that as one of our activities to do together later this month so now I know to assemble it the night before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really cool idea. I'll do it with our gingerbread house too !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this idea! I would love for you to link up to my new party, Monday Myriad Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so unique and beyond cute!! I love it!! Would love for you to please share it via my Pin'Inspirational Thursday linky party please...LOVE it :)) http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/12/pininspirational-thursday-11-linky.html?m=1 thanks so much :)) Wishing you a happy Thursday..~Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this- how darling!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  32. 3 hours to set a gingerbread house? Wow, I'm glad you told us that, I'm having bunch of kids over this week to make some. I guess I should set them up the ay before so they'll be ready to decorate. Your house turned out really cute, love the swirls on the roof. And your marshmallow tree is just so adorable!! It looks great in the cheese dome!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Adorable. I would have never thought to use marshmallows in a project. I would have to buy twice the amount of marshmallows as I would eat one for myself for everyone I glued. :) Great job

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aww...love the marshmellow tree in the cloche!! It's super cute, and very easy!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love that marshmallow tree! I get the pre assembled house so all we have to do is decorate!! No conniptions (from me) that way!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...