Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Wooden Sign for the Mantel

So, this is the second project I've completed with my new Silhouette machine
I'm a little embarrassed of the first project... we'll see by the end of the post if I decide to share it with you.

I really love this machine.  I don't mind hand-painting letters, but this was so much easier!

I have been getting more and more requests from clients for painted lettering on walls, so I finally splurged on the Silhouette.  I am working on a wall this Friday so I thought I'd practice a little this week before I go messing up a "professional" job :)

OK, I might as well show you the failed project.  Because I am very cheap and a little bit lazy, I used contact paper instead of the Silhouette vinyl to make the stencil.  Here is project #1 (and the reason I'll be purchasing some real vinyl for the job on Friday)
Doesn't look terrible, right?  Wrong.  Look a little closer

What a mess!  The paint seeped under the stencil, either because it wasn't sticky enough or I didn't seal it well enough.  I did it in an inconspicuous place, so I'm fine with it for now.  I'll try to touch it up one day.  I wanted it painted on the wall because I figured the kids would be bored on the "naughty step" and eventually get around to peeling the vinyl off.  I mean, wouldn't you?

Anyway, I dry brushed the sign so the paint wouldn't seep under the stencil.  Much better than the naughty step project.

And if you're wondering why I chose Colossians 3:14 for my mantle... this fireplace is in our basement (which is now our master bedroom).  We live in a two bedroom townhouse and moved our bedroom down there when our second child was born.  It's kind of awesome having the fireplace in our bedroom and makes living in the basement a little more cozy.  I wanted this sign to remind us of what is most important while we are getting dressed.

Let me know what you think!  Any tips for this Silhouette newbie?
Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
Jamie
Pin It

This post is featured here:  FeaturedAtSBLC Thrifty Thursday Week 51DomesticallySpeaking
This post is linked here:  Today's Creative Blog Blue Cricket Design Kurtz Corner Mommy by Day Crafter by Night Cherished Bliss Lines Across My Face Southern Lovely Bear Rabbit Bear French Country Cottage Craft Junkie Too DIY Home Sweet Home Saved by Love Domestically Speaking Funky Junk Interiors Homemaker on a Dime Eisy Morgan The Answer is Chocolate Making the World Cuter Craft-O-Maniac lolly jane 504 Main I Heart Naptime Singing Three Little Birds mad in crafts House of Hepworths Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Keeping it Simple Be Different Act Normal Sew Can Do Sew Chatty Pinkapotamus The Girl Creative Flamingo Toes Tatertots and Jello Sisters of the Wild West Reasons to Skip the Housework Giggles Glitz and Glam Tip JunkieThe Trendy Treehouse Ladybug Blessings Night Owl Crafting Tea Rose Home My Girlish Whims Allie Makes Gluesticks Thrifty 101 Momnivores Dilemma A Little Knick Knack Miss Mustard Seed Freckled Laundry kojo designs A vision to remember Primitive and Proper 733 Rook no 17 Home Stories A to Z
Naptime Crafters Whipperberry delightful order

26 comments:

  1. I think the paint job makes it looks a little scary...like I wouldn't want to sit on the naughty step!!
    Love the sign! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the naughty step is hilarious!!!
    and i tell my husband i am clothed with nothing but love all the time... oh, wait i mean... ;)
    the sign is super cute!!!! cassie get your mind out of the gutter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bought the Silhouette?! Yay! I remember when we talked about it during Alyssa's baby shower. So glad you decided to splurge. I am loving mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used contact paper to make stencils with my silhouette a bunch and I have never had this problem. They always turn out great. Is your wall textured? You've got me all worried now. You will love your new machine though. So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your Love sign. What a wonderful idea! ;)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving your sign and that naughty step. So cute and and perfect!I'd love for you to link up to my Homemade in December Link Carnival.

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2011/11/homemade-in-december-link-carnival.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your LOVE sign. Great job!!

    I would love to have you come on over to itssoverycheri.com for a visit.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sign. Did you use a 2x4? Looks awesome. Love the naughty step That is hillarious. I am going to pin that one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I'd love it if you'd link this {and your gorgeous lamp too} at my party!

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/shine-on-fridays-3-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to try one of these wooden signs....I think you did a really great job!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I think the Silhouette is going on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the 'naughty step' idea. I think it still might work if you trace the outline with a fine tip brush. A tip I learned when painting with stencils. Go over the stencil first with the original color (in this case your wall color). This way any paint that leaks under the stencil will be the same color as your wall and won't show up. This will also create a seal preventing any other paint from leaking under. Of course, this only works if you actually know and have the paint color on your wall.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. More the Merrier Monday ends tonight. Stop by and link up if you have not already.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my Silhouette machine. I got it six months ago (of course, before the new model was announced). You can't even imagine how many awesome things it can do. Love your signs. Even though the "naughty step" didn't come out perfect, the concept is great. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign's Fall into Fall party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your foresight in knowing that your kids would totally go after the vinyl. And thanks for sharing the craft fail. I'm so lucky to be getting a silhouette for Christmas (my dad can't keep a secrete to save his life). I've been thinking about about using contact paper to save money. Its nice to know the problems with this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sign. It turned out great. I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now.

    http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sign looks really nice, but I think my favorite is that you have a naughty step. And that you put a sign for it. What a great deterrent. :) Does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE this.. So creative. Looks really awesome. : )) *Naughty step rules* :)) I would LOVE if you could please stop in and linky this terrific feature via my Pin’Inspirational Party happening today pweease… http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursdayslinky-party.html .. THANK YOU SO MUCH.. Wishing you an incredible start to your weekend.. Sincerely ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is darling!! Thanks so much for sharing this treasure at Feathered Nest Friday!! Hope to see you again this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute!! I got my Silhouette Cameo this week and can't wait to try it out! LOVE your project you created with it :) It will be featured at this weekends linky party! Yay!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite part of this post is that your honest. I can tell you many of times my projects fail but I forget to tell my readers. LOL.

    Love the sign mantel sign, thinking of making my own!

    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully said and beautifully done.

    Thank you so much for sharing your talent on “A Little Birdie Told Me…” at Rook No. 17! With all the parties out there to choose from, it means a lot that you take the time be a part of mine! Warmest wishes, Jenn

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback! Leave a comment and I will write you back (as long as your settings include your email address). Thanks for the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...